Harley Davidson Logo

Harley Davidson Logo

Thursday, May 27, 2010

Assignment 2-2
The three contemporary icons I chose for this week’s assignment are Elvis Presley, The Grand Ole Opry and Rocky and Bullwinkle. An icon can be a visual representation of an object or event or even a feeling. I chose these three because they are each rather unique in what they represent.
Elvis Presley symbolizes the beginning of rock and roll music for the masses. There had been other rock and roll musicians before him but Elvis broke away from these suit and tie wearing musicians with his extreme hip gyrations and outrageous showmanship. His performances blended aspects from many styles and ethnicities during a time when racial segregation and prejudice were the norm. Musical performances would never be the same. I grew up with his music and Elvis passed away while I was in High School. When I hear the term Rock and Roll, I think of Elvis.
The Grand Ole Opry was my second choice because it is considered the home of Country music. It is actually the longest running radio show in history. There has been broadcast from several locations through the years and its current home is the Grand Ole Opry House in downtown Nashville, TN. Rarely is the building shown as a representation of Country music, more commonly seen are performers on stage during a show. Membership in the Opry is considered success in the world of Country music. Though I don’t really listen to the show, it represents a type of music I enjoy.
The third icon is the Rocky and Bullwinkle cartoon show. The series only appeared in two versions from 1959 to 1964 but has been seen by several generations in re-runs and new productions. The first shows were more than just cartoon entertainment for children having been based on the concept of good and evil. An interesting thing about these early shows was the Cold War undertones. All the villains had had names like Boris and Natasha, commonly used Russian names. The villains always worked for the Evil Empire, a term later used by President Reagan in a 1983 speech to describe the Soviet Union. There is no way to know if this was the intent but this one kept me fearful of Russians into adulthood.

No comments:

Post a Comment